Cognitive (IQ) assessments are available for individuals from 2.5 to 90 years of age.
Adaptive assessments are conducted in conjunction with cognitive assessments in order to ascertain the individual’s emotional and behavioural well-being, as well as to determine their functional skills in day-to-day life.
Academic assessments may be incorporated into assessments for children from 4 years of age, depending on the nature of the referral. Academic assessments can also be conducted independent of cognitive and adaptive assessments.
In partnership cognitive, adaptive and academic assessments can be used to:
- Identify learning disabilities such as reading disorders and mathematical disorders
- Identify gifted and talented children
- Identify intellectual disabilities
- Guide appropriate school-placement
- Determine individual patterns of intellectual strength and weakness
- Provide recommendations to optimize effective learning and development
Australian standardised Wechsler tools (WISC-V/WPPSI-IV/WAIS-IV and WIAT-III) are used to assess cognitive (IQ) and academic ability respectively, and the Adaptive Behaviour Assessment System, 3rd Edition (ABAS-III) is used to assess adaptive skills.
- an initial telephone or in-person discussion with the person requesting the assessment to gather background information for the referral
- an assessment session with the individual generally lasting between 45 and 90 minutes for cognitive assessments and/or 30 to 80 minutes for academic assessments.
- parent, teacher and/or self-rating adaptive forms (for adaptive assessments: to be completed prior to session)
- verbal feedback to the person who made the referral within 1 week of the assessment
- an assessment report (including assessment results and recommendations for future directions) provided within 2 weeks of the assessment
- an in-person follow-up session with the person who made the referral to further discuss the results and recommendations of the assessment report
Please note: Assessments may be included under NDIS service agreements (charged according to an hourly rate). Please contact Lynley to discuss further.
To make a booking and for all enquiries please call 02 9868 6029 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Cognitive and Adaptive assessments may be available for adults on request.